When Someone Dies
Page Nelson Solicitors can help with dealing with the affairs of someone who has died. We have many years’ experience of dealing with the administration of estates, and obtaining the Grant of Probate or the Letters of Administration.
We can advise Executors, or act as Executors ourselves, so that you have the comfort of knowing that the affairs of someone who has died are properly dealt with. Our clients tell us that our involvement gives them peace of mind and reassurance at this very difficult time.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
Again, this will vary depending on the size of the estate, the types of assets involved and whether or not there is a valid will.
EXAMPLE – EXCEPTED ESTATES
The prices below are based on an estate where:
- There is a valid will
- The gross estate is less than £325,000 or the gross estate is less than £1,000,000 with the net estate being less than £325,000.
- There are no foreign assets
- There are no gifts with a reservation
- There are no lifetime gifts
- There are no more than 2 executors
- There are no more than 4 bank accounts
- There are no more than 6 liabilities.
- There are no more than 6 beneficiaries
- There is only 1 property.
- There are no disputes between beneficiaries in relation to the division of the assets.
- There are no claims made against the estate (disputes and claims against the estate can lead to an increase in costs).
ESTIMATED COSTS VAT AT 20% TOTAL
£1,500 £300 £1,800
If the estate falls outside the above criteria, the administration work involved becomes more complex and varies greatly.
We estimate that, in these circumstances, our fees will be approximately 2% – 3% of the gross value of the estate plus VAT and we will be able to give you more accurate quotation once we have met with you at our initial meeting and discussed the assets within the estate in detail.
You will be pleased to know that even in these circumstances, we will be able to give you a quotation and are costs are not determined by an hourly rate which we appreciate can quickly spiral.
Here at Page Nelson we understand that some executors require more help during the administration process than others and we pride ourselves in offering as much help as is required by each individual.
Because of this we offer a Grant Only service whereby Page Nelson will carry out all the work and administration necessary to obtain the Grant and the appointed executors or the administrators may then feel they are able to collect in the assets and distribute the estate themselves.
How must will this cost?
ESTIMATED COSTS VAT TOTAL
£950.00 £19 £1,140
THIRD PARTY (ESTIMATED) COSTS
Probate Application Fee £155
Oath fees £7 per executor
Land Charges Searches £2 per beneficiary
Advert in the London Gazette (optional)* £84
Advert in the local newspaper (optional)*
* The advertisements within the London Gazette and within the local newspaper help to protect against claims from unknown creditors and/or unexpected claims against the estate.
- Additional copies of the Grant will cost £0.50p each (1 copy per asset is usually required).
- If you wish to instruct Page Nelson to act in relation to the sale or transfer of a property from the estate, this work is not included within the quotation above however, Page Nelson will be happy to deal with this work for you and will provide a separate quotation for the conveyancing work involved.
If you would like to talk about these issues, please call or email Amanda Johnson.
For professional, friendly legal expertise and advice, call us on 01522 687500 or send an email.