Electrical Work Needs To Be Properly Certified

September 23, 2010 8:21 am

Why Electrical work needs to be properly certified? (and not only to ensure your own safety!)

Since 1st January 2005, all electrical work carried out in dwellings (which includes but is not limited to houses, maisonettes and flats) has had to comply with Part P of the Building Regulations.

Work which involves adding a new circuit to a dwelling needs either to be notified to building control, which will involve an inspection of the work, or to be carried out by a competent person who is registered under the Part P Self-Certification Scheme.

Replacing a socket-outlet or a light switch on an existing circuit does not need to be notified to a building control body although work involving installation of extra power points or changes to circuits in bathrooms or kitchens or indeed the addition of outdoor electrical fittings must be notified.

Persons registered with Part P Self-Certification Schemes are fully qualified electrical contractors with the ability to check a circuit for safety. They will be able to issue Building Regulations certificates of compliance.